As we age or experience disabilities, the need for accessibility in our homes becomes increasingly important. Luckily, there are many accessibility upgrades that can make your home safer and more comfortable for you and your loved ones. Here are a few upgrades a handyman can make to improve accessibility in your home.
- Install grab bars: Installing grab bars in your bathroom can make it much safer to get in and out of the shower or tub. Grab bars can also be installed in hallways and near stairs to provide support and stability.
- Lower light switches and thermostats: Lowering light switches and thermostats can make them easier to reach for people with mobility issues. This simple upgrade can make a big difference in everyday life.
- Install a ramp: Installing a ramp can make it easier for people with mobility issues to enter and exit the home. Ramps can be made of a variety of materials and can be customized to fit your specific needs.
- Widening doorways: Widening doorways can make it easier for people who use wheelchairs or other mobility aids to move throughout the home. This is a larger project, but it can greatly improve accessibility.
- Replace doorknobs with lever handles: Lever handles are much easier to use than traditional doorknobs, especially for people with limited hand strength or arthritis.
These are just a few of the many accessibility upgrades a handyman can make to your home. Contact Handymen to schedule an appointment and discuss the upgrades that would best suit your needs.